What is a tongue dimple, pit or depressions? What exactly can cause a tongue dimples? Are tongue dimples cutest tribute like it is on the cheeks? Do I need to treat it or how can I treat the resultant symptoms or complications? Go through this review to explore more on causes, symptoms and how to perceive tongue dimples.
What is the meaning of tongue dimple
- What is the meaning of tongue dimple
- Causes of tongue dimples
- Symptoms of tongue dimples
- Tongue dimples in babies
- Tongue dimple treatment and remedies
Generally, a dimple is small indentation in the fleshy part of human body. It is mostly seen on cheeks or chin as well as just above the bottom (sacral dimple) but, can also be seen on tongue. Many people say it occurs naturally on the cheek or chin but this may not be the case when it occurs on the tongue; there may be virtual causes.
Dimples occurring on tongue can be due to a disorder and it disappear when the disorder is resolved. To dig deeper into dimples, if they occur on cheeks, they appear cute and desirable to an extent that many people have gone mad about them! Nowadays, techniques have been invented to artificially create some dimples on cheeks.
Now, can dimples occurring on tongues be cute and have any benefit? Can we proceed to make artificial dimples on tongue? Read on to explore more about the tongue depressions, whether they are friendly and how to go about them.
Causes of tongue dimples
As much as tongue hollows may sound strange, you still have to acknowledge that as we had defined it, these are just small indentations that can occur in any fleshy part of the body. So tongue dimples can occur on the side of the tongue (also called scalloped tongue) or any other part of the tongue depending on the underlying causes.
Now to add more literature about dimpled tongue, we have focused our efforts to unmask some of the possible causes of dimples on tongues. We`ll also discuss their symptoms and remedies. Now, below are the most likely causes of dimples on tongue:
Increased sized of tongue or swollen tongue
In certain circumstances, your tongue may grow in size. This will then make the tongue to press against the dental arches. Resultant symptoms will be a depression on the side of the tongue. Again when your tongue is swollen may be due to infections or traumatic injury, it will also increase in size and press against the teeth. You will discover teeth marks around the edge of the tongue or you will have a scalloped tongue.
When you lack sufficient amount of thyroid hormone on your body (hypothyroidism), the normal functioning of your body will be interfered with. Remember this hormones has a hand on the body metabolism and any interference will make the body function to slow down. Hypothyroidism will also lead to swollen tongue, and as we have seen, swollen tongue can lead to formation of tongue indentations.
Usually thyroid problems may result from Hashimoto’s disease, Thyroiditis or Congenital hypothyroidism. Again, besides swollen or scalloped tongue, other severe symptoms may also arise.
Temporomandibular joint syndrome
This syndrome include the nerve and the jaws connecting the skull and the jaws. Actually it will result when the temporomandibular joint is injured. Linked symptoms include bruxism, headaches, face swelling, chewing pain and more.
This may cause misaligned teeth and thus jaw instability. So in many occurrences, you`ll see many people try to realign their teeth in the jaw using their tongue. “Bite isn’t coming together properly to stabilize your jaw for swallowing… your tongue pushes up against your teeth to help stabilize them” highlights mjtreatmentsc.com.
This will result to tongue with depressions or dimples. There are remedies that can be employed to correct this syndrome.
Nutritional deficiencies especially deficiencies of certain essential minerals and vitamins can also lead to tongue dimples or crenated tongue. This will result to a condition called megaloblastic anemia: unusual production of excess blood cells.
Another blame may go to iron deficiency, this can also potentially lead to scalloped or swollen tongue that may develop depressions. See you nutritionist to seek better advice over good diet for better health.
Unhealthy habits and anxiety
Bad habits such as gridding, pressing or clenching your tongue against the teeth can result to tongue dimples if done over a long period. These cruel habits can also due to stress or anxiety and they can lead to muscle tensions leading to tongue indentations.
Rolling or curling your tongue can also contribute to the occurrence of the said tongue dimples. When you are used to roll your tongue, then over a periods of time, you can develop some depressions on your tongue. Such dimples will usually develop along the center of the tongue. Tongue rolling is an inherited condition the can run in families.
Apart from the above causes of tongue dents, other defects such as sleep apnea, digestive problems, arthritis, sinus problem and spleen QI deficiency can also lead to this problem. There may also be more unidentified causes that we may not have covered in this review.
Symptoms of tongue dimples
Some of the signs and symptoms of a dimpled tongue is highlighted below:
Before we dig deeper into these symptoms, we want to make it clear that the symptoms can occur majorly before or during the formation thereafter, we may just talk of the complication sand not really symptoms. So here are the symptoms:
- Swollen, inflamed or enlarged tongue
- Infections may indicate pending risk of swollen tongue
- Though change in the color of tongue is not usually the case, sometimes the friction between the tongue and the teeth can trigger discoloration (reddening).
- Bit tongue can sometimes bleed and become sore
- Sometimes dimpled tongue can due to underlying ailments that may have other symptoms such high fever, swollen tongue, sore throat, painful tongue etc.
The underlying diseases can result to more adverse symptoms the can be very extreme and thus treatment may be difficult. Therefore proper treatment or the first line to prevent the occurrence of tongue dimples is to attend to the specific causes.
Tongue dimples in babies
In many cases, dimples on in babies or newborns may be due to breastfeeding or suck problems. When the baby sucks the nipples, his/her tongue may take the shape of the nipple. This is another factor that will result to dimpled tongue in babies. Believe me, over a long period of sucking, the baby may have depressed tongue following the shape of the nipple.
Again, dimpled tongue in babies may be a kind of misfortune that develop in the womb or we can call it a birth defect. This may be due to certain complicated medical conditions.
Tongue dimple treatment and remedies
Before you could focus on treatment for tongue dimple, you must make sure that proper diagnosis is done to be sure about the primary cause. Right dimpled tongue diagnosis is essential. You should also evaluate the resulting symptoms.
For the right diagnosis to be made possible, various differential tests may be performed by an expert to give definitive information.
Now, get this together. Dimpled tongue alone should not be considered as a disease. To manage this condition, you should be treating the underlying causes or the resultant symptoms. But generally, these are the tips to help you prevent and treat tongue dimples:
- The resultant symptoms should be treated in time i.e. sores, itching or symptoms of tongue infections should be treated at early stages. You can apply home remedies but for severe symptoms, you seek medical attention.
- To avoid dimpled tongue, you should treat the underlying health conditions or diseases
- Maintain good oral hygiene especially to avoid infections
- All diagnosis should be done by medical experts so that effective treatment for underlying disorder should be made in times.
Mild tongue dimples especially those that are due to humble causes can be just left alone. But even if they are mild and are a source of concern please see your doctor. Dimpled tongue may not be friendly as those in cheeks and chins do.
- Tongue dimples: https://www.tumblr.com/search/tongue%20dimples
- Dimple On Tongue Or Is It Something Else: https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/thread/dimple-on-tongue-or-is-it-something-else-153479/
- What Causes a Scalloped Tongue: http://www.healthline.com/health/scalloped-tongue
- Scalloped Tongue (Wavy Tongue): Causes and How to Get Rid of It: http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/scalloped-tongue/
- Tongue indentations as an indicator of clenching: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1499243
- Teeth Marks on Tongue: http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Teeth-Marks-on-Tongue.html
- Fissured Tongue: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/fissured-tongue
- Tongue Problems: http://www.medicinenet.com/tongue_problems/article.htm